November 6, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie in a Pan

One of my favorite things about this time of year is food.  I make the excuse that the colder it is outside the more I need to eat to keep myself warm.  With that probably not being the case I have an adaptation to the wonderful recipe:  chicken pot pie {in a pan}.

Now, I'm completely going off memory.  I went back to find the recipe I used and it is no where to be found.  Seriously?!  But really, I've only made this once and it was so good I'm not about to forget it.  {and if it doesn't turn out you can totally yell at me}

Preheat oven to 425.

Filing:
Shredded chicken.
-Ideally you would have your chicken roasting in a crock pot for 8 hours with chicken stock, thyme, pepper, salt.  But if you're short on time, I broiled my with the above ingredients for about 20-30 mins then shredded.
Cream of chicken soup
Carrots
Celery
-You can also add potatoes, peas, corn-whatever you'd like.

Mix the shredded chicken with a can of cream of chicken soup mixing in lightly steamed vegetables (I like mine crunchy).


Pie Crust:
I know a lot of recipes call for a pie crust in a tube.  I have nothing again pie crusts in a tube because I know how cumbersome it can be to make them.  Believe, I've tried and failed many a times, but this is a fool-safe homemade recipe that will be worth the extra mess.

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
7 tbsp cold butter.
3/4 cup milk
Greased 8x8 pan

Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together along with 2 tbsp of butter.  Once you have it mixed together work in the remaining 5 tbsp of butter pinching them down to pea size as you mix in with the flour mixture.

Once your dough has been worked though with the butter, pour 3/4 cup of milk a little at a time and work through the mixture.

Place dough on a floured surface and roll out to about a 1/2" to 1/4" thick.  

I then measured (roughly) what my 8x8 pan was and cut it to fit the bottom of my pan.  Place dough at bottom of the pan.   Hang on to the extra dough.

Place the chicken mixture on top of the dough at the bottom of your 8x8 pan. 

With the extra dough, roll out, again to 1/2" to 1/4" and slice into about 1" strips.

Place {magnificently} over the chicken mixture in a crisscross pattern.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
About 6-8 servings. 

{If you have any extra dough...
For dessert place remaining dough strips on a small cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.}

Sorry I don't have pictures, but I plan on making it again soon and if so I will take pictures next time.  My last batch lasted literally seconds.  It was soooo yum.


It's such a simple meal that doesn't take very long, but once it's in your mouth it's like you've slaved all day over a hot stove.  Mmmm.  Nothing like  chicken pot pie in a pan to warm your tummy on a chilly fall day.

Enjoy!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. How awesome, chicken pot pie is on my menu this week! I'll have to try this crust recipe...I am a horrible crust maker! I love the idea for the dessert...genius! Thanks, gals! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...