- According to U.S. Patent Office records, Thomas Jefferson was the inventor on the first hideaway bed. When not in use it was hoisted to the ceiling and secured by ropes and pulleys.
- Each seed of the palm tree Lodoicea seychelarum weighs 30 pounds
- The monarch butterfly can discern tastes 12 times more subtle than those perceivable by human taste buds.
- The word "horse" in horseradish has no relation to the animal. It means "coarse" or rough"
- Polar bears can smell a seal from 20 miles away
- South Carolina is home to the first tea farm in the U.S.