July 12, 2011

Tute Sweet Tuesday

You can thank Old Navy for this one, since that is originally where my inspiration came from.  I was walking around their store and saw Fourth of July outfits out and I thought, "um, waaay cuteness.." but I saw some of the dresses and thought, "I could totally make one myself..." So I jumped my car and headed to JoAnn Fabric.  I found a very helpful tutorial from Prudent Baby here. (One of my fav blog-ities BTW) and saw how easy it was, and thought,
"Aaaawe-some".  

So I started out with this cute fabric here...
Made my measurements and started to cut. 
*TIP  Measure whomever you are making the dress for- 
HeCk! You could make one for yourself! {Um, how cute would you be?!}
Measure across the chest, and measure how long, then how "around" you'd like it to be.
-Cut two. (A front and a back-seams are on both sides)
I didn't measure little E on the first dress and I had to adjust her star one because I couldn't get her little arms through... true story.  Granted the pattern they have on there was for 0-3 month, and E is (*sniff*) 7 months now... but she was 6 months when I started this :} 
So I was sure to make this one a little bigger so she can grow into it and wear it as a shirt with little leggins.  {CUTE!!}
 I added an under layer of muslin so that I cut out (two) as well.
 Fold length-wise in half and draw your pits. 
Tear drop like.  
Cut out the pits (tee-hee-hee)
*TIP  It worked better for me to have a little more of a hole to put E's arms through, so I made the arm hole slightly longer and wider.
 All you need to do is sew right sides together and you're almost done!
After sewing the sides, fold and iron 1/4" of the top, then fold about 3/4" and iron.  Pin and sew.  Thread some ribbon through and...
Done!
BUT!
If you are like me and want to add some flair... read on.
 I added...
{ a ruffle. } 
Do you all remember our very first Tute Sweet Tuesday?
If not, refresh your memory here to do the ruffle.
Double your bottom measurement and pin right sides of the dress and the strip together and sew.
 Pssst
{*SECRET*}
I cut the ruffle and sewed the ruffle like you would bias tape and it looked sooo good.  Prudent also has a tute on how to make bias tape.  Awwwesoooome.
 *Remember the floss trick with ruffles.  If you need {another} refresher go here.
Done!
And Done!  
You can't see it well in this picture, but I made her a little rosette with a button to help me know which side was the front.  It probably got matted down from all that lovely drool.. but she's cute anyways :)

A fun little summer dress that only took me about an hour and some change.  You could also make it a little shorter and use as a top.  
With ruffles. 
 Lots of them.  
(Kind of obsessed with ruffles at the moment..)
Really, there's no limit on what you can do.
Happy Sewing! 

And BTW, if you have done a {trulie scrumptious} tute or a project of your own that you would {trulie} LOVE to share with us, we encourage you to TUTE your own horn and email your pics at truliescrumptious@gmail.com.  


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Aha, that is so adorable! How did we not run in to each other in Rexburg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet dress--and baby girl! You did a great job with it!

    Thank you for sharing this at Show & Share! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a cute dress!

    I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training Tomorrow! Plus there is going to be a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...